Get up to speed with Java!
This course is a fast-paced three-day grounding in the fundamental concepts of Java and Object-Oriented Programming, covering basic Java language features, as well as more advanced topics such as collections, exceptions, database access, with a special emphasis on good coding practices, unit testing and test-driven development.
- Introducing Java: An introduction to Java, including installing Java, basic code structure and syntax, the main() method, basic looping and conditions, and compiling and running your first Java programs.
- An introduction to Object-Oriented development: Introduction to object-oriented development, including introductory inheritance, overriding methods, and creating and destroying objects.
- Declaring your Variables: Declaring variables, primitive types, Java keywords, Object declaration and assignment, and arrays.
- Object behaviour: Methods, method arguments, pass-by-value, getters and setters, scope and encapsulation.
- Flow Control: For loops, while loops, conditions, case statements,...
- Fundamentals of Test-Driven Development and Unit testing with JUnit 4: Introduction to Test-Driven Development, Test-Driven development as a design technique, unit testing with JUnit 4, annotated tests, Hamcrest asserts, parameterized tests, running unit tests in your IDE,...
- Advanced Object-Oriented development: Packages, imports, inheritance, polymorphism, abstract methods, interfaces,...
- Handling Exceptions: Declaring Exceptions, Catching Exceptions, using try/catch/finally blocks, custom exceptions.
- Generics and Collections: Using the Java Collections API, introduction to generics, using generics with collections, sorting collections, the Comparable interface,...
- Java I/O Object serialization, streams, writing to a text file, reading from a text file,...
- Basic database access with JDBC: Introduction to JDBC, connecting to a database, writing to a database, querying a database, ORM theory
- Releasing your code: Creating a JAR, making an executable JAR, running an executable JAR...
At the end of this three-day workshop, students will be able to:
- Write basic Java applications
- Understand the fundamental concepts of good object oriented design
- Understand Java's implementation of basic object oriented concepts
- Understand the principles of Test Driven Development, and be able to write effective unit tests for Java code
- Connect Java programs to relational databases
Currently, this course is offered exclusively as an on-site course. Please contact us for more details.
This course is designed for developers with little or no Java experience, although they may have some knowledge of other programming languages.
All our courses are above all practical in nature. We believe that the best way to learn is by doing. So the course contains approximately 80% lab work.
This course is provided on-site, and can be tailored to your particular requirements. If you would like our trainings delivered at your premises, or for any additional information please contact us.